Open Discussion
New “Velma” HBO Max Series
  5 of 8  
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
LTKNT101
(February 2, 2023, 5:47 pm)cheshcat2 She ends up murdered in episode 7
Well that took a dark turn. Would have been much worse if she still was baking that bun. This just confirms what I said in my previous comment. This show is all about making people say wtf?
Liked by pregsniffer (Feb 3, 2023), Akhenaten (Feb 3, 2023)
Glittering_You330
(February 2, 2023, 10:44 pm)larik9 The Office actually did have some pregnancy fetish bits with Pam, but I don’t think this show is trying to do something like that - this seems more for shock value, like a lot of things about it.

Kaling wrote a lot for that show, but who knows if that was her joke.

Here's the thing that everyone here doesn't realize, Mindy's not a writer for the show. She's not even the creator. Her only two roles is voicing Velma and being one of the executive producer out of four. The head writer is some dude who also worked for SNL. But the fact that Mindy's arguably the biggest person on this project, she automatically gets tagged as being the main person.

Actually no, I take that back. She's definently not the biggest person on the show. Glenn Howerton, Sam Richardson, Constance Wu, Melissa Fumero, Jane Lynch, Gary Cole, Wanda Sykes, Weird Al, Debby Ryan, Shay Mitchell, Stephen Roots, and Jim Rash are part of the show too. 

Which is honestly unfortunate that a star-packed cast is wasted on this show.
MJSimmons
All I am going to ask or even inquire about is what was so essential about showing a pregnant woman who then starts doing an Only Fans shoot when the baby moves. How did this even move the story along that could not have been done in a lot of other ways?
Liked by Ph_anonynous2 (Feb 23, 2023)
Glittering_You330
(Edited)
(Edited)
(February 3, 2023, 12:49 am)MJSimmons All I am going to ask or even inquire about is what was so essential about showing a pregnant woman who then starts doing an Only Fans shoot when the baby moves. How did this even move the story along that could not have been done in a lot of other ways?

It was a b-plot and wasn't part of the main story until she ended up getting murdered several episodes later. The pregnancy stuff was just used to give the step-mother more of a backstory so more sympathy would be given when they killed her off.
Liked by Ph_anonynous2 (Feb 23, 2023), Akhenaten (Feb 3, 2023)
MJSimmons
(February 3, 2023, 12:56 am)Glittering_You330
(February 3, 2023, 12:49 am)MJSimmons All I am going to ask or even inquire about is what was so essential about showing a pregnant woman who then starts doing an Only Fans shoot when the baby moves. How did this even move the story along that could not have been done in a lot of other ways?

It was a b-plot and wasn't part of the main story until she ended up getting murdered several episodes later. The pregnancy stuff was just used to give the step-mother more of a backstory so more sympathy would be given when they killed her off.
Ah, this is what I get for not having HBO/MAX to watch the whole series.
LTKNT101
(February 3, 2023, 1:06 am)MJSimmons Ah, this is what I get for not having HBO/MAX to watch the whole series.
Mate, be lucky you don’t have HBO Max. Trust me you don’t need to burn valuable brain cells on a stupid cartoon that is universally panned. The preggo is gone and with her went any reason for us to follow the show.
MJSimmons
(February 3, 2023, 11:45 am)LTKNT101
(February 3, 2023, 1:06 am)MJSimmons Ah, this is what I get for not having HBO/MAX to watch the whole series.
Mate, be lucky you don’t have HBO Max. Trust me you don’t need to burn valuable brain cells on a stupid cartoon that is universally panned. The preggo is gone and with her went any reason for us to follow the show.
I have enough. I am paying Paramount+, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc... etc... I really do not see the need to add another, and I had no genuine desire in the first place to add HBO-Max, having a show that brings a pregnant women to do nothing more then add shock value and get people talking about the show.
Liked by Ph_anonynous2 (Feb 23, 2023)
MJSimmons
(February 3, 2023, 12:56 am)Glittering_You330

So even the pregnant woman or post-pregnant woman sympathy character angle is out, and those characters are no longer safe in a horror or disaster flick/show. I wondered how long that would last.
McKormick
(Edited)
(Edited)
(January 27, 2023, 12:42 pm)McKormick
(January 26, 2023, 12:37 pm)LTKNT101 If Mindy Kaling was aware pregnancy was a fetish she would have kept that knocked up character pregnant for as long as possible. It would have kept me interested in parts of the show just for more preggo content and I’m sure other preggophiles also would have continued to keep their eyes on the show.

I think she is and was aware. Why else would the pregnant character randomly strip and pose for a nude photo shoot like that?

Thats what I was saying. It made no sense.

(January 27, 2023, 1:17 pm)LTKNT101 Mostly for shock value. I honestly don’t think Mindy knew what she was doing with that scene however sexualization of pregnancy certainly has become more mainstream. Pregnant girls dancing on Tiktok etc. Basicly it’s okay to do a lot of things with pregnant women in mainstream media that used to be off limits. Hell, there used to be a time the word pregnant was not allowed to be spoken on tv. 

Mindy is not the smartest person in a room. That’s why I don’t think she put that pregnant character in there specifically to target us. The way it came and went so fast suggests it’s was there simply for a “I can’t believe this show did that” reaction from viewers.

I can see what youre saying but I dont know. At this point it seems like just about everyone knows about the pregnant fetish. Very few people like to talk about it which is amazing because I have read that a lot of men are into it and just ashamed to admit it. I wouldnt doubt that this random scene was thrown in to surprise people as you mentioned and just in case some maiesiophile were watching to get some more views. The show tanked but people are hate watching the show and some have said its gotten much better in the later eps.

(February 2, 2023, 10:44 pm)larik9 The Office actually did have some pregnancy fetish bits with Pam, but I don’t think this show is trying to do something like that - this seems more for shock value, like a lot of things about it.

Totally off topic but I always thought Pam was cute. Do you happen to have any examples? Any episodes that show this? A quick Google search shows she may have been pregnant twice? Was this like Friends final episode with Jennifer Aniston where they laid it on so insanely thick that just about all of Jennifer Anistons dialogue would trigger most maiesiophiles? Or Two And A Half Men where Allen ended up having sex with Sara Rue and inducing her labor?

https://screenrant.com/tv-show-pregnanci...dy-project

I went to look this up myself and look at that, Mindy was 'pregnant' on her own in her show The Mindy Project. It was a fake belly but one can only assume if this might have tipped her off to the fetish.
Akhenaten
(February 3, 2023, 1:15 pm)McKormick The show tanked but people are hate watching the show and some have said its gotten much better in the later eps.

Strange - I've heard the opposite. Shitshow all-around. I'm not watching it, so I have no opinion.

(February 3, 2023, 1:15 pm)McKormick

Totally off topic but I always thought Pam was cute. Do you happen to have any examples? Any episodes that show this? A quick Google search shows she may have been pregnant twice? Was this like Friends final episode with Jennifer Aniston where they laid it on so insanely thick that just about all of Jennifer Anistons dialogue would trigger most maiesiophiles? Or Two And A Half Men where Allen ended up having sex with Sara Rue and inducing her labor?

I watched The Office (US) some years ago and don't remember content that would have been of particular interest to us. I feel like that would have stood out to me.