Open Discussion
The declining birthrate in Japan and Korea.
  2 of 2
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pregwifelover
(June 19, 2024, 1:31 am)marururun
(June 18, 2024, 8:03 pm)Pregwifelover This feels like it was written by AI lol
I am translating Japanese into English before I write, which I think is making you feel uncomfortable. Sorry.
Oh, that actually makes alot of sense!
marururun
(June 19, 2024, 3:20 am)deadname There's nothing to apologize for! Translation between any languages is difficult for programs to do. Translation between Japanese and English is especially difficult because the grammar is so different and both languages require a lot of cultural context.

I am not Japanese, so it's not necessarily for me to speak on, but I've heard from friends that the work culture of Japan is a big contributor as well. Ridiculously long hours will harm anyone's ability to lead a normal life, as we're also seeing the effects of in America.

It's hard to want to bring a child into the world we've inherited, maybe especially so where cultures demean us for not having more to show for all our work.
(June 19, 2024, 3:53 am)Feunski No, it is because of the formal writing style. While that is easier to translate, it can feel less natural to read. Don't worry, accuracy is more important here. It's good to get the opinion of someone from one the countries being discussed.
日本語が少し分かるんで、でもちょっと下手んだよ www

I see Vtubers as the next stage of idol culture. Now people have easy and almost daily personal interaction with their favorite Vtuber. Unlike with anime, the people who portray Vtubers are not simply actors. They are adding parts of their own personality and lives to a fictional character, and this makes them feel real. People end up developing a one-sided relationship and see them as real friends. Why risk getting rejected by a real person when Vtubers always love their fans.

I think Japan's work culture is also a big factor. Women want to work after getting married, but it seems that Japanese companies tend to not have good maternity leave or childcare. This is still a problem even in America. I assume the older generations who are in charge of the companies hold the traditional idea of women quitting work after marriage. At the same time, men are expected to work until night, but aren't being paid enough to afford a home or support a whole family anymore. I hope this starts to change.
(June 19, 2024, 12:18 pm)Pregwifelover Oh, that actually makes alot of sense!

Kind people, thank you very much.

Over the past decade or so, the way of working in Japan has changed dramatically. The environment has changed to one in which subordinates can protest as harassment in the workplace when superiors use their position to force them to work or impose old values on them.

The same is true for maternity and childcare leave, and workplaces can no longer deny a woman who wants to return to work after completing her maternity and childcare leave, unless there is a reasonable reason to do so.

This is a wonderful thing because it means that individual opinions and rights, in other words, individual freedom, are respected. However, this has also included a negative aspect.

Decades ago in Japan, people tended to think that anyone who did not marry, regardless of gender, had some kind of personality problem. This was especially true for women, who were sometimes called very dishonorable if they entered their thirties without getting married.

However, today, the idea of not getting married, or as I mentioned earlier, the respect for individual freedom, has resulted in a great increase in the number of young people, both men and women, who choose not to get married. In many cases, they do not see the benefit in getting married because they hear stories of their spouses' infidelity, for example.

In the past, society was permeated with the idea that marriage was natural and that one could only truly become an adult when one could provide for one's own children and wife. Today, however, many young people do not want to be bound by such social trends and consider these ideas to be outdated.
Liked by RJ4444 (Jun 22, 2024), Feunski (Jun 19, 2024), Chinchil (Jun 19, 2024)
marururun
Ah, it was sent on the way. My apologies.

I want to tell you that I do not intend to criticize Vtuber itself or those who like it. The only fact I would like to mention here is what is happening in Japan today.
Liked by Feunski (Jun 19, 2024)