Open Discussion
IMPREG-19
  2 of 3  
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
LTKNT101
(April 5, 2020, 4:22 pm)InflatoPreggo
(April 5, 2020, 3:27 pm)LTKNT101
(April 5, 2020, 11:55 am)auto_asphyx too soon? how about never, chief. absolutely tone deaf.

millions may die in America alone from coronavirus. if you're really about writing fiction, the make up a disease; don't base it on something that's causing suffering on a global scale with no end in sight.

you truly are clueless.

The movie “Outbreak” is basically what we are dealing with now. Instead of a bat it was a monkey. A virus that knocks up women is not Covid-19. With that said I should probably consider changing the country it starts in and a few other details to give it a bit more separation from true events but overall I don’t see any harm in making fiction based on a true event. Movie makers do it all the time. There are thousands of movies out there based on real life events regardless if people died or not. I tell you the over sensitivity some people have is ridiculous. South Park comes under fire constantly because people get offended way too easily. That’s why I like Dave Chappelle. He says what he wants and doesn’t care if some people don’t like it.

Good feedback.

The whole concept is still tone deaf. Like Auto said, if you plan on making a story like this, then come up with some way to avoid any possible connection to the current pandemic.

Good feedback. Question: Was James Cameron tone-deaf for making his 1997 film Titanic? It glamorized and exploited a real-life tragedy for financial gain. My story plan is only basing off how Covid-19 started and how the government dealt with it which is pretty much textbook pandemic stuff that has been used before in virus outbreak movies. That's why the 1995 film "Outbreak" is so similar to what's happening in the current pandemic.
LTKNT101
(April 5, 2020, 8:29 pm)InflatoPreggo
(April 5, 2020, 8:23 pm)LTKNT101
(April 5, 2020, 6:25 pm)T.J.
(April 5, 2020, 11:55 am)auto_asphyx too soon? how about never, chief. absolutely tone deaf.

millions may die in America alone from coronavirus. if you're really about writing fiction, the make up a disease; don't base it on something that's causing suffering on a global scale with no end in sight.

you truly are clueless.

If years of Stalag fiction and Naziploitation movies have taught me anything, it's never too soon to turn tragedy into fetish. 

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xgq5e...b-xhamster

Titanic was one of the first big tragedies with a huge number of people that lost their lives. Did that stop movie producers from making films about it? If this dude that is all over me had his way we wouldn't have James Cameron's 1997 Titanic or any of the other versions that were made. I'm not writing a story about the current pandemic. My story is not going to be a Coronavirus story. I am simply basing my fictional impregnating virus on the way Covid-19 started and how the government dealt with it. That's where the similar stuff between my idea and the real pandemic end.

I’m just now realizing that you genuinely don’t see the issue. Basing a movie on a historical event, such as Titanic, is fine because it is a major historical moment. People make movies about such events all the time, but it is often a long time AFTER the event takes place. He’s not criticizing you for coming up with an idea about an epidemic of pregnancies since that’s a mildly common idea people have for stories. He’s criticizing you for coming up with “Impreg-19” and basing the entire origin story on the very real and deadly Covid-19. It’s not deeper than that.

Right that goes back to one of my initial questions, "Is it too soon" to base off the current pandemic because it has not become an as you say, "historical event." So would it be better if I base off the 1918 Spanish Flue?
InflatoPreggo
(April 5, 2020, 8:36 pm)LTKNT101

you truly are clueless.

The movie “Outbreak” is basically what we are dealing with now. Instead of a bat it was a monkey. A virus that knocks up women is not Covid-19. With that said I should probably consider changing the country it starts in and a few other details to give it a bit more separation from true events but overall I don’t see any harm in making fiction based on a true event. Movie makers do it all the time. There are thousands of movies out there based on real life events regardless if people died or not. I tell you the over sensitivity some people have is ridiculous. South Park comes under fire constantly because people get offended way too easily. That’s why I like Dave Chappelle. He says what he wants and doesn’t care if some people don’t like it.

Good feedback.

The whole concept is still tone deaf. Like Auto said, if you plan on making a story like this, then come up with some way to avoid any possible connection to the current pandemic.

Good feedback. Question: Was James Cameron tone-deaf for making his 1997 film Titanic? It glamorized and exploited a real-life tragedy for financial gain. My story plan is only basing off how Covid-19 started and how the government dealt with it which is pretty much textbook pandemic stuff that has been used before in virus outbreak movies. That's why the 1995 film "Outbreak" is so similar to what's happening in the current pandemic.

He wasn’t tone deaf. Your story plan incorporates the apparent origin of Covid-19, which is why there’s a problem. When James Cameron decided to make Titanic, he wasn’t in the midst of a shipwreck himself. There was no other large scale oceanic disaster even remotely similar to Titanic at the time, and tragedy movies have always been a favorite to blend with romance.
InflatoPreggo
(April 5, 2020, 8:40 pm)LTKNT101
(April 5, 2020, 8:29 pm)InflatoPreggo
(April 5, 2020, 8:23 pm)LTKNT101
(April 5, 2020, 6:25 pm)T.J.

you truly are clueless.

If years of Stalag fiction and Naziploitation movies have taught me anything, it's never too soon to turn tragedy into fetish. 

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xgq5e...b-xhamster

Titanic was one of the first big tragedies with a huge number of people that lost their lives. Did that stop movie producers from making films about it? If this dude that is all over me had his way we wouldn't have James Cameron's 1997 Titanic or any of the other versions that were made. I'm not writing a story about the current pandemic. My story is not going to be a Coronavirus story. I am simply basing my fictional impregnating virus on the way Covid-19 started and how the government dealt with it. That's where the similar stuff between my idea and the real pandemic end.

I’m just now realizing that you genuinely don’t see the issue. Basing a movie on a historical event, such as Titanic, is fine because it is a major historical moment. People make movies about such events all the time, but it is often a long time AFTER the event takes place. He’s not criticizing you for coming up with an idea about an epidemic of pregnancies since that’s a mildly common idea people have for stories. He’s criticizing you for coming up with “Impreg-19” and basing the entire origin story on the very real and deadly Covid-19. It’s not deeper than that.

Right that goes back to one of my initial questions, "Is it too soon" to base off the current pandemic because it has not become an as you say, "historical event." So would it be better if I base off the 1918 Spanish Flue?

In all honesty it would be best if you came up with an origin story that is unique to this specific story without any obvious outside influence. Could you base it off the 1918 flu pandemic? You could, since enough time has passed that we can now reflect on that as a society and see where we went wrong in how we reacted. Again, it’s best if you come up with your own origin story, but any sort of event that is near 100 years old is fair game, assuming we’ve learned from it.
Liked by LTKNT101 (Apr 5, 2020)
LTKNT101
(April 5, 2020, 8:40 pm)InflatoPreggo
(April 5, 2020, 8:36 pm)LTKNT101

you truly are clueless.

Good feedback.

He wasn’t tone deaf. Your story plan incorporates the apparent origin of Covid-19, which is why there’s a problem. When James Cameron decided to make Titanic, he wasn’t in the midst of a shipwreck himself. There was no other large scale oceanic disaster even remotely similar to Titanic at the time, and tragedy movies have always been a favorite to blend with romance.

Thanks, I see the point. Its basically too soon to base fiction on the Covid-19 situation because it's happening now. If Hollywood was gearing up to release a pandemic movie and before it hit theaters the Covid-19 thing happened they would pull the pandemic movie because it would be in poor taste to release a pandemic film while a real one is happening. Calling my story Impreg-19 would work in 2045 but not right now.
BelliusMaximus
Now if you called it Gravid-19.....
Liked by belliesrlovely (Apr 6, 2020)
BelliusMaximus
Some of us are "essential workers" and forced to go out and deal with this BS while seeing our government give bonus money in unemployment to those who aren't working equalling 3-4 times what I make.

So much fun.

Roleplaying games, pregnancy shit, stories. That's what is distracting me from all the RL bullshit I am seeing. So take that for what it is worth.
Liked by LTKNT101 (Apr 6, 2020)
Takumi
(April 5, 2020, 9:37 pm)BelliusMaximus Now if you called it Gravid-19.....

Maybe he could call it PREG-Flu /Gravid-Flu
Liked by BelliusMaximus (Apr 6, 2020), LTKNT101 (Apr 6, 2020)
Thechickenlawyer
(April 5, 2020, 9:40 pm)BelliusMaximus Some of us are "essential workers" and forced to go out and deal with this BS while seeing our government give bonus money in unemployment to those who aren't working equalling 3-4 times what I make.

So much fun.  

Roleplaying games, pregnancy shit, stories.  That's what is distracting me from all the RL bullshit I am seeing.  So take that for what it is worth.

Sad but true. The people that die (unless any famous ones die) the people that die will NOT revolutionize humanity (they are not important & will not be in our history books). There are billions here. Good thing is capitalism is getting hurt. Why aren't the famous people giving more $? You see the cars & watches they got. Look at the Queen of England (she is worth almost a billion) & hasn't donated a penny to USA. All the racks the rappers say they got, where's the money now? 

Unless Bill Gates & fsmous people die then I'm not worried. This country is only truely hurt if the famous people & the people REALLY important in history are dead. Regular workers are not important. We are expendable. There will always be more workers. But there will only be 1 Bill Gates, 1 Oprah & 1 Microsoft. If we die, we won't be remembered by the world. We wont be in textbooks in school. If we died tomorrow: no one big would remmber us, there would be no big funural. 

So lets let this dude have his fun.
Liked by LTKNT101 (Apr 6, 2020)
LTKNT101
(April 5, 2020, 11:49 pm)Takumi
(April 5, 2020, 9:37 pm)BelliusMaximus Now if you called it Gravid-19.....

Maybe he could call it PREG-Flu /Gravid-Flu

I like the idea of titling my story PREG-Flu. It has a nice ring to it and is actually better than Impreg-19. Thanks guys your feedback is really helping me with this project.

Liked by BelliusMaximus (Apr 6, 2020)