Open Discussion
US bans TikTok unless it is sold
  2 of 3  
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
auraman9005
(Edited)
(Edited)
On one hand, I hate commies who try to subvert entire nations by having ByteDance pump out mind-numbing shortform content to the masses outside China while theirs were more useful and mentally stimulating, but on the other hand, some of the best preggo content that we've seen on this platform were from Tiktok, so it'll be a sad, but necessary break if the ban would come to fruition.

Me personally, this is a "you win some, you lose some" situation, and while Tiktok has been a great source of content, there are other places to get my fix.
Liked by SPL (Apr 25, 2024)
SPL
(Edited)
(Edited)
(April 25, 2024, 5:09 am)auraman9005 On one hand, I hate commies who try to subvert entire nations by having ByteDance pump out mind-numbing shortform content to the masses outside China while theirs were more useful and mentally stimulating, but on the other hand, some of the best preggo content that we've seen on this platform were from Tiktok, so it'll be a sad, but necessary break if the ban would come to fruition.

Me personally, this is a "you win some, you lose some" situation, and while Tiktok has been a great source of content, there are other places to get my fix.

Mostly concur with this. There's no doubt in my mind that ByteDance freely funnels user data to the CCP - actually, they were already caught spying on journalists - and the fundamental nature of it is probably harmful to the already-diminished state of interpersonal communications. No brain necessary TV already inflicted enough damage to the average person's attention span and TikTok only serves to further degrade that.

Not only are we in no position for lofty moralizing however, but we obviously have a vested interest in TikTok staying around. I really don't get the "good riddance, nothing of value [would be] lost" mentality from fellow preggophiles of all people. Maybe those who express that sentiment haven't been around this fetish long enough to remember how tough it was to find good content back in the day. TikTok and Instagram, the single greatest places of assembly for pregnant women in all of history, didn't exist prior to the 2010's. One needed to scour the depths of Youtube - independent Myspace and Flickr blogs aside - during the late 00's for innocuous content. The original Pregnant Community only emerged right around then as well. Pregnancy was relegated to the status of sub-kink on sites like Cheviot's Place, PG-13, and ExHentai. And even then, the preggophiles of that era were spoiled compared to their forebears! Grainy VHS tapes and used J.C. Penney or Sears catalogs were all the preggophiles of the distant past had to go on.

Losing TikTok would be a massive blow to our regular flow of new content. IG is virtually impossible to navigate at this point and Youtube has been left by the relative wayside in favor of...you guessed it...TikTok. No less than a couple dozen registered users here actively scout the platform for material, and we still haven't seen everything thereupon by a long-shot. It's akin to a gigantic, open-air, human zoo for this fetish.
Liked by Preggopee (Apr 26, 2024)
TerminalSin
(April 25, 2024, 9:36 am)SPL
(April 25, 2024, 5:09 am)auraman9005 On one hand, I hate commies who try to subvert entire nations by having ByteDance pump out mind-numbing shortform content to the masses outside China while theirs were more useful and mentally stimulating, but on the other hand, some of the best preggo content that we've seen on this platform were from Tiktok, so it'll be a sad, but necessary break if the ban would come to fruition.

Mostly concur with this. There's no doubt in my mind that ByteDance freely funnels user data to the CCP - actually, they were already caught spying on journalists - and the fundamental nature of it is probably harmful to the already-diminished state of interpersonal communications. No brain necessary TV already inflicted enough damage to the average person's attention span and TikTok only serves to further degrade that.

Not only are we in no position for lofty moralizing however, but we obviously have a vested interest in TikTok staying around. I really don't get the "good riddance, nothing of value [would be] lost" mentality from fellow preggophiles of all people. Maybe those who express that sentiment haven't been around this fetish long enough to remember how tough it was to find good content back in the day. TikTok and Instagram, the single greatest places of assembly for pregnant women in all of history, didn't exist prior to the 2010's. One needed to scour the depths of Youtube - independent Myspace and Flickr blogs aside - during the late 00's for innocuous content. The original Pregnant Community only emerged right around then as well. Pregnancy was relegated to the status of sub-kink on sites like Cheviot's Place, PG-13, and ExHentai. And even then, the preggophiles of that era were spoiled compared to their forebears! Grainy VHS tapes and used J.C. Penney or Sears catalogs were all the preggophiles of the distant past had to go on.

Losing TikTok would be a massive blow to our regular flow of new content. IG is virtually impossible to navigate at this point and Youtube has been left by the relative wayside in favor of...you guessed it...TikTok. No less than a couple dozen registered users here actively scout the platform for material, and we still haven't seen everything thereupon by a long-shot. It's akin to a gigantic, open-air, human zoo for this fetish.
Bruh who cares about a flow of new content when it’s all cringey ADHD trash. Grainy VHS tapes and used J.C. Penney catalogues are unironically better than the mind numbing brain liquefying drivel TikTok produces. I have trouble understanding how you can even get off to it through so many layers of cringey bullshit. Fuck TikTok, fuck the CCP, the world would be a better place without either, there are more important issues than finding fap material anyway (not that there’s actually any shortage of it).
Liked by TaliesinWI (Apr 26, 2024), Preggopee (Apr 26, 2024), preggolover_69 (Apr 25, 2024), Spambasket (Apr 25, 2024), LTKNT101 (Apr 25, 2024)
LTKNT101
Tiktok destroyed long form content. It reduced viewer’s attention spans down to a few seconds. It’s the reason annoying so-called “shorts” have infiltrated YouTube, Facebook, and other social media platforms. The loads of preggo content is not enough to justify the existence of an app that has done more harm than good. I support the ban if it happens. They should have let Trump do it 4 years ago.
Liked by TaliesinWI (Apr 26, 2024), Preggopee (Apr 26, 2024), preggolover_69 (Apr 25, 2024), Spambasket (Apr 25, 2024), TerminalSin (Apr 25, 2024)
Spambasket
its like bottom of the barrel 'content' anyway. good riddance. shouldve gotten rid of all the similar shits like YT Shorts while theyre at it but... i get it, national security, ill take what i can get lol
MyandGoSeek
(April 25, 2024, 9:36 am)SPL Not only are we in no position for lofty moralizing however, but we obviously have a vested interest in TikTok staying around. I really don't get the "good riddance, nothing of value [would be] lost" mentality from fellow preggophiles of all people. Maybe those who express that sentiment haven't been around this fetish long enough to remember how tough it was to find good content back in the day.

Losing TikTok would be a massive blow to our regular flow of new content.

This is quite an overstatement if I've ever seen one. For starters TikTok isn't even old for you to be pulling the "back in the day, things were harder" card. It wasn't hard to find abundant content in 2018 before the app became popular in America.

Being part of this site pre-2018, I can tell you that I wasn't starving for content when this site was at it's peak content-wise.

If losing >30 second videos with AI voice overs and giant fonts blocking half of the screen is considered a "massive blow", then that's one blow that I won't hesitate to take. The fact that people worry more about a website shutting down is quite arbitrary when sites have been shutting down for the past 32 years and new ones have taken their spot. This fetish is no exception. Content is going to be lost, it has and always will happen. And new content is always arriving, regardless on where it comes from.
Liked by TaliesinWI (Apr 26, 2024)
CutePikachu
I get the discourse in here all specifically relates to Tiktok and how good it is for this kink, but I feel like people here really just bought hook, line, and sinker the US government's line about "national security!" lmao

These guys were totally fine about you guys' data getting stolen and used and abused by US tech companies, but one big Chinese tech company does this, and suddenly the government cares so much that they all bipartisanly agreed to ban Tiktok? That you guys handwave it so easily as "ah well Tiktok bad because cringe bad anyway" is also weird considering other social media sites can be just as cringy!

But meh, if I say more it's gonna get political so I'll just say that the Tiktok ban for the US government is never at all about national security, or else Meta would've been wiped off the earth years ago when that whole Cambridge Analytica things happened.
MyandGoSeek
(April 25, 2024, 9:27 pm)CutePikachu I get the discourse in here all specifically relates to Tiktok and how good it is for this kink, but I feel like people here really just bought hook, line, and sinker the US government's line about "national security!" lmao

These guys were totally fine about you guys' data getting stolen and used and abused by US tech companies, but one big Chinese tech company does this, and suddenly the government cares so much that they all bipartisanly agreed to ban Tiktok? That you guys handwave it so easily as "ah well Tiktok bad because cringe bad anyway" is also weird considering other social media sites can be just as cringy!

But meh, if I say more it's gonna get political so I'll just say that the Tiktok ban for the US government is never at all about national security, or else Meta would've been wiped off the earth years ago when that whole Cambridge Analytica things happened.

So far only a fraction of comments are about stolen data, national security, and what-not. The main gripes that people have with the TikTok being "cringe and bad" are pretty justifiable when you realize how every other site has gone and copied the horrible format of short videos with annoying effects. You can argue that Vine did it first years prior, but the impact that site had wasn't as widespread. The worst thing to come out of this is how now I can't even use YouTube anymore without a bunch of irrelevant shorts cluttering up my homepage. So if anything the lack of care or disregard of Tiktok's impending demise is more than just "muh data and preggo content".
Liked by LTKNT101 (Apr 26, 2024)
Preggopee
(April 24, 2024, 4:42 pm)McKormick You should probably be doing that anyway. I have plenty of favorite videos on Instagram, TikTok and YouTube that have since been pulled offline. Its getting to the point that you might want to immediately save and archive them the moment you first see them.
Typically if I see content I like, especially from “tube” sites, I’ll make a list of links and then grab it as soon as I have some free time. If it disappears in under a week, I’m probably not meant to have it.

(April 25, 2024, 11:32 am)LTKNT101 Tiktok destroyed long form content. It reduced viewer’s attention spans down to a few seconds. It’s the reason annoying so-called “shorts” have infiltrated YouTube, Facebook, and other social media platforms. The loads of preggo content is not enough to justify the existence of an app that has done more harm than good. I support the ban if it happens. They should have let Trump do it 4 years ago.
This is my real issue with TikTok, and why if I’m brutally honest, I’m not sorry to see it go. The thing is though, I would rather it have failed for the fact that it’s a stupid concept for mindless people, and that enough of the population was smart enough to not operate at peak stupidity at all times. My issue isn’t with getting rid of TikTok, it’s with the US government basically telling what is essentially a private company to either sell their assets or go out of business, because while it’s true that the CCP owns part of every “private” company in China, this is the only one that’s being singled out as a concern. (One of ByteDance’s major shareholders is also an American billionaire, so it’s not like there isn’t an American influence there either.) Having said that, China has banned all western social media from their country, so I don’t mind banning TikTok as the diplomatic equivalent of flipping the CCP off, or as a strategy to get western social media into China again, but I do mind it in the sense that we’re lowering ourselves to the level of the CCP by doing the same thing they do.

It’s funny, I remember YouTube being seen as what destroyed long from content—back when it was new a five minute video was considered absurdly short, and the goal was 22 minutes like a half hour TV show that typically only ever reached about fifteen minutes. Today a five minute video is somehow considered “long.” That’s definitely TikTok’w fault, back when Vine tried it along with a few others it was deemed stupid and rightfully so.

(April 25, 2024, 5:53 pm)Spambasket its like bottom of the barrel 'content' anyway. good riddance. shouldve gotten rid of all the similar shits like YT Shorts while theyre at it but... i get it, national security, ill take what i can get lol
This is sort of how I feel as well. The truth is that I don’t use X/Twitter or any of Meta’s platforms, or TikTok for that matter. I don’t think YouTube should even really qualify as “social media,” but if you want to call it that, it’s basically the only social media platform that I use. (And even then, the last thing I do on it is socialize, I’m just watching videos that are mostly reviews of stuff.) However, I am surrounded by people on TikTok, and can’t escape its crap quality content from popping up elsewhere and infiltrating my time. YouTube shorts is the embodiment of ruining a good experience with reposted TikTok garbage, and I now have to fight that monstrosity just to enjoy normal YouTube.

(April 25, 2024, 9:27 pm)CutePikachu I get the discourse in here all specifically relates to Tiktok and how good it is for this kink, but I feel like people here really just bought hook, line, and sinker the US government's line about "national security!" lmao

See my comment above, I really don’t use any of them (save for YouTube, which I still think barely deserves to be called social media,) because they’re cringy and brain rotting most of the time. You do raise the point though that Meta should have been put through the ringer for similar behavior long ago, but it was private companies that were stealing it then, not a foreign government who we’re not exactly on good terms with. (If TikTok was a British company funneling US user data back to the UK we probably wouldn’t bat an eye about what it could be used for.)
Liked by SPL (Apr 26, 2024)
SPL
At the end of the day, I'd prefer that TikTok die a natural death like MySpace than be forcibly shut down in one of its largest content-producing territories and risk losing a wealth of material. We're spoiled for content, and acting like it could up and vanish without any skin off our backs is absurd. Some of the greatest, innocuous finds on this site originated from there, and its ease of access vs. say, modern Instagram is unparalleled.